Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

tteknos

MIS
Nov 28, 2001
US
I have a couple systems that are giving me Windows Protection Errors.

First System (Win98): Was working fine. I added an additional 128 MB stick of ram in there, and I got some error on bootup, can't remember exactly what it was. I removed the stick, and booted fine into windows. When I shut down though, I get Windows Protection Error, Please Restart Computer. Any ideas?

Second System (Win98): Reloaded with Win98 and was working fine. All of a sudden on shutdown it does the same thing as the first one, windows protection error. Mind you, this doesn't happen on restart, ONLY upon shutdown.

I tried swapping memory on both, reloading, trying the shutdown patch, anything I could think of and still the same. Please if you could offer any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Ted

I had the same problem when I tried to add additional memory to my cpu. Unfortunately the vendor sent the wrong kind. Something about it not being the right kind for the bus and processor.

My error went away when I put the original memory back in.

hi,
beacuse of these(may Be)
1. RAM Error check ram if u recently changes in RAM, buy same mac RAM.
2. CPU fan notworking or, Cirix CPU
3. OS problem
4. scan u r HDD

vikas

I had a similar problem a year or so ago when I tried to install a Promise IDE card to get more ports - except that I get the "Windows Protection Error" when booting. I pulled the new card out and it worked fine. Several months later, when I had time to actually troubleshoot the problem, I put the new card in again and - it worked!!!

The thing we are supposed to like about computers is that they repeat a task as many times as we want and do it exactly the same way every time. Well, they DON'T. The joke's on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back