Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Protection Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

smaxted

Vendor
Jun 16, 2002
CA
G'Day...Yesterday morning when I started up my computer after shuting it down from playing baseball on it the screen resolution was changed. I hit restart and now it will only hit a blue screen that says "windows protection error..you must restart" It can boot up into safe mode but that is it...I scanreg'd it and found nothing and diskscaned but could find nothing either..I don't know how to get rid of this error and get my computer working...thanks for your help in advance

Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Another day, another problem"

...of course, I thought I was in my usual haunt, the Win9x forum, so...that article is only going to help if you're running 9x or ME....post back with your OS if this doesn't apply...

Using ME..Im in school right now so I will have to give it a try when I get home

Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Using ME" There's your problem =)...in my opinion Win ME is the worst thing to come out of Microsoft!

...then again it's just my opinion

I can agree that ME is a horrible program but when you get it free what are you gonna do...anyways I have gone through all the troubleshooting that Microsoft recomends and still can't get the mofo working...I tried disabling system.ini, wini.ini, Static VxD and Startup group items...and all at the same time as well still cant get it to boot. IF anyone can give me some help on getting my compy up and working, that would be amazingly appreciated thanks!

Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

Hi there, here is an option to try...

Boot into Safetymode go to the Device Manager, there go to your Gfx card, remove it... Restart system... and reinstall your drivers for the GFX card...

It almost sounds like it killed or damaged one of your Drivers...

I also agree about the F*****G WinME... try to get a hold of Win98SE, you will be happier...

Ben

This probably has nothing to do with your problem but it may help someone else out.

I had a usb flash card reader plugged in and had a flash card in it. I took the pics from the flash card and put them on my h drive, then took the flash card out. System froze, i rebooted and got the windows protection error on a blue screen. I unplugged the usb reader, rebooted and all was fine. I even used the usb reader again and all was fine.
So if you hve any usb products installed at the time you got the win protection error, you could try unplugging them.
Its just a thought as it happened to me.

I haven't installed any new hardware, though I will rememeber that tip for the future. For the previous post about my video card, I have tried the drivers and nothing has happened. The protection error still exists...anyways more help on the topic would be grand...thanks!

Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

I've seen this issue with Creative cards and the 16-bit emulator drivers. Disable those, and the issue goes away.

That's partly why I buy M-Audio cards :)

...doesn't help if you're not using a Creative card, tho'

Driver issue of some kind.

Hope this helps

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

hey...i had the same problem on my win98 after OCing my GF4. what i did was ran under safe mode and ran System File Checker and wrote down all the files i needed( in my case it was setupx.dll) and then i pluggedn in a friends harddrive and copied the files out of the win98 cd and put it in my harddrive then ran my harddrive in safe again and ran checker again and pointed out the files since safemode doesnt support CD drives. hope this helps!!

and my cmp is dead right now and im guess int my CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back