Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows protection error

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1ghty60

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
GB
hey all

i recently put mcafee vscan6 pro onto a pc and everytime pc is shutdown i get a "windows protection error: restart windows" and the traditional blue screen.

if anyone has this issue or knows of a cure let me know please, i am baffled. i have tried clean install ofthe vscan software with no joy.

thanks in adv

andy

sorry got page unavailable every time i go.

I am sorry that link did not highlight all of the way. Please add ;en-us;Q273738 to end of link from the previous posting. Well you system come up at all? If so can you boot to SAFE MODE?

sorry here is a bit more detail:

this is what i get:

Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer. System halted. [blue screen]

I used to restart before shut down, to prevent this, and it used to work, but now when I do that I get a pluguni error. This also happens when I haven’t restarted and had to power down too.

Then on restart get:

Pluguni caused an error in kernell32.dll.
Pluguni will now close

(the pluguni error is happening more often now too)

don't have a problem with safe mode start up

hope someone can help :)

Can you tell me what program you have tried to run or what task you are doing when you get this error.
If the computer started ok in Safe Mode then start by going to START, RUN, in the box type MSCONFIG.EXE, got to start up tab, now uncheck all of the McAfee items and restart.
If that did not work then uncheck items that are not system programs. You can try two or three at a time. If the problem is not there you can do controlled boots. Start by unchecking sys.ini reboot, if problem goes away there is bad
item in the sys.ini. Next win.ini and etc until you find the problem.

[noevil]

m1ghty60

Longshot...VirusScan trying to scan floppy on shutdown could cause this...try disabling floppy scan in utility found on your systray...

smitee

I'm having the same problem, but I didn't install any virus software. I tried reinstalling ME, but no luck. I added memory, deleted and reinstalled programs, updated drivers, no luck. Should I just go buy XP and load it over it? Any suggestions? I see the last post here was on 4/20. Did you find a solution?

Thanks for any help - my laptop will soon go flying out the window if I can't fix it! lol

Di

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back