Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Protection Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBL626

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
US
Hi all !!
Please help !! I have a HP Pavilion 8770c and I am receiving a message at startup stating Windows Protection Error, please restart computer. When I restart the computer it pulls me up in safe mode. I am able to work in safe mode but when I shut down or restart it pulls up the error again. I recently downloaded IE6.0 and ever since that download I have received these errors. I uninstalled IE6.0 and restored to previous version. But to no avail the error is still there. I have checked Microsofts website and found next to nothing.
Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance

Is it an IOS error, that causes the windows protectin fault, and what version of windows are you using?

Windows 98 SE
It doesn't say anything about an IOS error. It starts to load the drivers and then before my wallpaper comes up it goes to a screen with this error message.

Try booting in safe mode and removing any drivers from the control panel for the following items:

Sound Card
Network Card
Video Card

Then try the reboot, they can always be reinstalled at a later date. If you installed any kind of network options recently, remove them again.

Problem fixed...all I did was restore a copy of the registry from the week before I downloaded IE6.0 and it seemed to be working. I just won't update to IE6.0 until I know they got all the bugs out.

Thanks for the advice
Lee

...you might be waiting a looooooooong time, Lee :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back