Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR VMM32.VXD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohdem

Programmer
Sep 20, 2000
US
I am installing Windows 98 SE onto a machine from scratch. I format the disk and install Win 98 on the machine and everything goes fine until the second reboot (after it detects the plug and pray devices ;-)). When it reboots the second time, it gives me the following error:

WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR. YOU NEED TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vmm32.vxd: Missing/unable to load.

Of course if I reboot again, I get the same error!! I have searched this forum and many others on the web and have found a lot of stuff about UMAX scanners being the problem, but I don't have a UMAX scanner or any scanner attached for that matter. In fact, I removed everything except the video card and reinstalled and got the same result. I've tried extracting the file from the Win98 CD. I've searched throught the autoexec.bat, windows.ini, and config.sys files for references to it. I've scoured the web for someone who is haveing the exact same problem I'm having, but no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Mike Rohde
rohdem@marshallengines.com
"If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization!"

Wow. I've faced this problem before on a school computer and didn't manage to resolve it. Removing the CD...who would have thought that?

*adds this solution to his book of tricks* Thanks for the tip!
"Much that I bound, I could not free. Much that I freed returned to me."
(Lee Wilson Dodd)

I ran into this problem installing a video card last night. The first boot worked fine. Now I get this message when the card is installed but then I take the card out and the computer works fine. I put the card in I get this message. I don't have a cd in the drive at the time of the reboot, anyone have other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back