Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows protection error: here we go again... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonyak

ISP
Aug 17, 2001
US
Ok, I thought I had it fixed, but I guess not. Now, we get the protection error, so we boot into safe mode, but this is unusual...after in safe mode, we choose restart. When it restarts, we get huge display settings, so we shrink them and restart again. After it boots up, everything runs perfectly. So essentially, we have to reboot 2 times before anything can be used. What causes this? Thanks in advance! s-)

Julie clgx299@earthlink.net
I came, I saw, I connected at 48.8...

Julie,

If I've posted this early, sorry. I think Early Alzheimer's is setting in.

Troubleshooting General Protection Faults
First, narrow down the source of the error. Because General Protection faults can be caused by software or hardware, the first step is to restart your computer in Safe mode. Restarting in Safe mode allows you to test your computer in a state in which only essential components of Windows are loaded. If you restart your computer in Safe mode and the error message does not occur, the origin is more likely to be a driver or program. If you restart in Safe mode and then test your computer and the error message does occur, the issue is more likely to be hardware or damaged Windows core files.
For Windows 95, restart your computer, press F8 when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, and then choose Safe Mode.

For Windows 98, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until you see the Windows 98 Startup menu, and then choose Safe Mode.

Test your computer in Safe mode. If the error does not occur, use the appropriate steps below for your operating system. If the error does occur, there may be a problem with your Windows installation or you may be experiencing a symptom of faulty hardware. See the "Test Hardware" section of this article.

Windows 98
After your computer restarts in Safe mode, use the System Configuration Utility tool (Msconfig.exe) to minimize conflicts that may be causing the problem:

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.

On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility.

On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the following check boxes:
Process Config.sys File
Process Autoexec.bat File
Process Winstart.bat File (if available)
Process System.ini File
Process Win.ini File
Load Startup Group Items

Click OK, and then restart your computer normally when you are prompted. After you restart and test your computer, if you still do not receive the error message, continue with the next steps.

Run the System Configuration Utility tool, click to select one item in the Selective Startup box, click OK, and then restart your computer and test.

Continue this process until all of the items in the Selective Startup box are selected. If you select an item and your issue reoccurs, click the tab of the corresponding item in Selective Startup, clear half of the check boxes, click OK, and then restart your computer. Continue this process until you narrow down the setting that is causing your problem.

If you can restart your computer successfully when all items are checked, run the System Configuration Utility tool, click to select Normal Startup, click OK, and then restart your computer.

For additional information about using Msconfig.exe, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
===========================================================
How to Troubleshoot Windows Protection Error Messages

----------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 95
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

--------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
When you start Windows, you may receive one of the following error messages, where device name is a device name:

While initializing device device name Windows Protection Error
-or-
Windows Protection Error
When you shut down your computer, you may receive the following error message:
Windows Protection Error
NOTE: To more effectively search the Microsoft Knowledge Base, use keywords that relate to your issue when you search. If you are searching for troubleshooting information that is not referred to in this article, please try searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base again by using keywords that are listed in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
Q242450 How to Query the Microsoft Knowledge Base Using Keywords

CAUSE
This behavior can occur when a when your computer loads or unloads a virtual device driver (VxD). In many cases, the VxD that did not load or unload is mentioned in the error message. In other cases, you may not be able to determine which VxD caused the behavior.

Windows Protection error messages can occur under any of the following conditions:

If a real-mode driver and a protected-mode driver are in conflict.
If the registry is damaged.
If either the Win.com file or the Command.com file are infected with a virus, or if either of the files are damaged.
If a protected-mode driver is loaded from the System.ini file and the driver is already initialized.
If there is a physical input/output (I/O) address conflict or a random access memory (RAM) address conflict.
If there are incorrect complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings for a built-in peripheral device (such as cache settings, CPU timing, hard disks, and so on).
If the Plug and Play feature of the computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) is not working correctly.
If the computer contains a malfunctioning cache or malfunctioning memory.
If the computer's motherboard is not working properly.
If you installed Microsoft Office 97 and you are using the Novell Client 32 software.

RESOLUTION
To resolve a Windows Protection error message:

Start your computer in Safe mode. For information about how to start your computer in Safe mode, view one of the following sections, depending on your operating system.

Windows 95
To start Windows 95 in Safe mode, press the F8 key when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup menu.
Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition
To start Windows 98 in Safe mode, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu appears, and then choose Safe Mode.
Windows Millennium Edition (Me)

To start Windows Me in Safe mode, press and hold down the CTRL key while you restart your computer, and then choose Safe Mode on the Windows Me Startup menu.
If you do not receive the error message when you start your computer in Safe mode or when you shut down your computer from Safe mode, view one of the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: Windows 95:
Q136337 Troubleshooting Windows 95 Startup Problems
Q145926 How to Troubleshoot Windows 95 Shutdown Problems
Windows 98:
Q188867 Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems
Q202633 How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Shutdown Problems
Windows Millennium Edition (Me):

Q273738 TITLE: Troubleshooting Windows Me Startup Problems
Q273746 TITLE: How to Troubleshoot Windows Me Shutdown Problems
If your computer is a Plug and Play computer, reinstall Windows by using the setup /p I command.

For additional information about how to install Windows 95, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q129260 Windows 95 Setup: Description and Troubleshooting Steps
If you are using the Novell Client 32 software, remove it, and then install Microsoft Client for Novell Networks.

Verify that the computer's CMOS settings are correct. For information about how to change CMOS settings on your computer, view the computer's documentation or contact the computer manufacturer.

Install a "clean" copy of Windows in an empty folder. Choose the Custom installation option and do not allow Windows Setup to detect the hardware in your computer. Instead, install only a mouse, a VGA video adapter, and a keyboard.

IMPORTANT: If the error message still occurs, it is most likely caused by faulty hardware.

MORE INFORMATION
The VxD that is generating the error message can be any VxD, either a default VxD that is installed, or a third-party .386 driver that is loaded from the System.ini file. If you do not know which driver is causing the error message, create a Bootlog.txt file, and then check to see which driver is the last driver that is initialized. This is typically the driver that is causing the problem.

NOTE: You may also receive a Windows Protection error message when you restart Windows 95 after you install a program or make a configuration change to your computer. For additional information about this issue, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q157924 Err Msg: "IOS Failed to Initialize" on Boot
For additional information about how to resolve Windows protection issues, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q131431 How to Troubleshoot Registry Errors

reghakr

reghakr,
I tried all those steps, and yes, you copied the same thing before :) I printed the info, and did all the steps again, and this time not one troubleshooting step has changed the bootup at all. The display settings are still all messed up until we reboot a million times, and I'm starting to get a little frustrated. I'm going to take a look at those articles again, but thanks anyways! (and Im sooooo close to trying ME...if not, I'll go back to win2k and deal without sound...I'll keep you posted :) clgx299@earthlink.net

Have you tried step-by-step configuration?
When you hit the errant vxd, you may receive an error message.

reghakr

not yet, I'll let you know how it goes. LOL, I spend so much time in here with my problems, we may as well be in direct contact lol. Jokin :) Let's try this again, shall we? ......

Julie clgx299@earthlink.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back