Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows PRO XP TCP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcg

Programmer
Jul 15, 2002
MX
Hi

I'm writting from Mexico and I have this problem:

I have 3 or 4 machines with Windows XP PRO and I can not ping among them.

they have ip address like this

192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0
192.168.1.4/255.255.255.0
192.168.1.5/255.255.255.0
192.168.1.6/255.255.255.0

everything seems SO simply, that's why I'm so confuse;

AND to make things worst I have an NT 4.0 with IP 192.168.1.1 and ALL the XP prof machines CAN ping it !!!

Any ideas?

thxs

Is Client for Microsoft Networking, and File and Printer Sharing installed on all the machines?

Is a logon occuring on all the machines with a username and password?

Disable the silly built in XP "firewall"?

The Client for Microsoft Networking is installed and also File and Print Sharing.

You logon in all machines using a username and a password.

The firewall is disabled, I mean the one you find at TCP/IP advanced properties.

But I forgot to tell you something, a few days ago it seems that everything was working ok: you could see the windows XP pro computers in the Network Neighborhood ( at last this is what I want to do ), BUT I think you could see them through IPX/SPX. THEN we started the Routing and Remote Acces service in one computer and after this you couldn't see the computers. So, I stopped the service, but now I can not see them even with the service disabled. I can't even ping them, as I already told you.

I don't know wheter IPX/XPX is causing the problem ( don't thnk so ), but I don't know why does starting the Routing and Remote Access started these problems.

I hope you can help me.

I had a similar issue on a small home network, and in talking to Microsoft, they had me disable all firewall and virus protection, and reload IPX over itself, which solved computers not seeing one another. For what it's worth...

I already made this test:

I have an XP pro computer with IP 192.168.1.3 and the NT 4.0 has 192.168.1.1

You can ping from XP to NT, but you can NOT ping from NT to XP

Could it be a problem that XP's are set as workgroup and NT is a domain controller????

Workgroups talk to other workgroups, not domains.

Domain controllers talk to domains, not workgroups.

(answer -- yes, this would be your problem!)

OK I turned off NT ( domain controller ), and leave only 2 XP pro computers, both set as workgroup.

To make sure they're in the same network I set up a linkSys DHCP.

Both XP pro get an IP from the DHCP ( 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101 ), so they MUST see each other, but they don't.

I can not still ping them

help !!!!!

On either machine:

Start, Run, netsh diag gui

Set all the options that seem to apply.
Scan

See what it reports

I desinstalled IPX from both machines and I ran

netsh diag gui ( it got ALL the information from my pc's )

but I don't see anything that seem's to be wrong

wich part should I watch out ?

( I apologise for my english )

Set the Linksys router not to Block WAN requests and try the ping again.

Block WAN request is disabled

It just does not make sense to me.

You can pull from the Linksys a valid DHCP address on both machines, but you cannot ping from one machine to the other. And there are no firewall issues.

Let me ask: was there ever any firewall installed, and then uninstalled? If you have anti-virus software installed, what is the Name of the software?

You are right, this doesn't make any sense.

A few days ago all xp pro can be seen on the network neighborhood, but I think this was because IPX.

Then in ONE xp pro computer I started the Routing and Remote Access service, and I lost conectivity, even with IPX installed. Here is where the problem started.

Don't you think it could be a routing problem? Maybe XP pro kept something after I started the Routing service?

There are no firewalls installed, nor antivirus. I disabled the Routing and Remote Access service.

From both computers I can ping the LinkSys ( obviously ) but I can not ping each other.

I've been working with TCP/IP since it appeared and I haven't seen something like this before.

I hope you can find out something.

The RAS service does not seem likely. The default is not to have routes persistant, so the next time you restarted the machine the route table would have been rebuilt.

You can always do a route print to see. But I cannot see it as a problem.

Are these 4 machines all the same, bought at the same time, all have the same network adapter?

No, they're not the same kind of machines, and have different adapters.

But, if this were a hardware problem, why can you get an ip from the DHCP¿

I reinstalled IPX/SPX and I can ( as 3 days ago ) access the aplications on both computers but I can not still ping each other, so they're speaking each other through IPX.

You are right, I've already done a route print and everything was ok.

Sounds like you need to slow down just a little bit.

For now, I would forget the Network Neighborhood, forget File and Printer sharing and Client for MS Networks. 'Ping' deals only with TCP/IP which operates at a lower level than these services. A TCP/IP problem can cause a problem with file and printer sharing, but file and printer sharing can't cause a TCP/IP problem (almost always).

On a related note, ping ALWAYS works. Always. Ping is a diagnostic tool. Point being, please post the response that you are getting when you try ping. There are several possiblities, some examples being 'request timed out', 'no route to host' . . . about 20 others.

Also, try something that uses a different protocol. Type 'telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' replacing the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the ip of another computer. I would not expect you to get a good connection with your configuration, but the error message can be valuable.

I agree with you, the ping works at a lower level. And as you said it always work.

The answer I got when I try to ping is " request time out ", as if the host I'm trying to reach is down.

Any other idea.

Ok, First,.... domains, workgroups, client for ms networking, file and print services have no relation to enable one workstation to ping another workstation.

I assume that TCP/IP is installed and configured correctly.

You must be on same subnet, or you must have a route to a device on another subnet.

Do not rely on Network Neigborhood as the means to see if the workstations are reachable via the ping method.

On each workstation, exit to the command line and type in the following;
ipconfig /all |more

This will give you a list of the network configuration of the workstation. You may have more than one ethernet card in the workstation. Make sure that your subnet mask is the same for each workstation, also make sure taht your IP addressing is correct.

Remove IPX and any other protocols that are installed on the workstations, leave TCP/IP.

I am assuming that these workstations are connected to a hub or a switch. Disconnect 2 of the workstations from the hub/switch. Then connect the two workstations to each other with a crossover cable, configure them as 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, remove any address from the default gateway.

Now from 192.168.1.1 ping 192.168.1.2, does that work?
Now from 192.168.1.1 ping 192,168.1.1, does that work?

If they both respond, then remove everything from your hub/switch, remove crossover cable from the 2 workstations, and connect the workstations to the hub/switch and try the ping process again.

Work with 2 workstations, when they work, add another. Work in small steps.

Other things to look at, check your cables, do you make them? Are they relaible? Are they CAT 5 or CAT 6? Is the hub/switch cabable of segmenting the lan? Are your workstation NIC's 10/100's and your hub a 10 baseT?

Hope this helps

Da Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back