Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Photo Gallery - Damaged or Corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamRicko

Technical User
Feb 19, 2009
GB
Hi Folks,

I have some users on Vista that are getting an error in Windows Photo Gallery when opening pictures.

"Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video. The file appears to be damaged or corrupted"

These pictures are deffinately not corrupt. They get the same error if opening from a network share, local hard drive, E-mail attachment (It will work if I preview within outlook 2007 though). Even directly from a camera.

This is only affecting our Vista users. (At them moment anyway)
I have been unable to find a definate fix looking through the www.

The pictures are visible in thumbnails and are visible on the top right hand side of the photo gallery when getting the error. They also open in other programs and on other OS's. When clicking the next button it will display the image properly for a breif second before saying its corrupted/damaged.

If anybody has any ideas or have experienced this before then your help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

AR

IT Support

Comptia A+
Comptia Network +

I think Windows Photo Gallery is "damaged by design." Would it be possible for your users to download and use Windows Live Photo Gallery? It's a more ambitious and better application.

Are you able to open those pictures in another Photo Editor, then rotate the pictures. This talks about a rotational problem fixed by rotating the photo 90 degrees in another program and then rotating the photo in Photo Gallery (undo the 90 degrees) to fix everything up. Maybe you could use the already installed MsPaint to do the initial rotation. After that see if Windows Photo Gallery can then display the photo correctly.

Warped pics in Windows Photo Gallery

photo gallery displays rotated images as vertical lines

Might be other solutions here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back