Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows or Unix

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrivers

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2005
US

Which is better for Cognos, windows or unix?
Nevermind the "it depends." Just pick one! :)

The documentation cognos has and their support staff seem to be geared more towards the windows environment.

Does anyone know if there is "one" codebase or if there's a windows codebase, and a unix codebase?

its java base.. i assume this is for portability (one code base)..

then again "it depends" on which product your speaking of

The current difference in processor's available for x86 and unix variants, is so big, that x86 blows unix performance out of the sky, purely based on raw power.
Sad but tru.

Stefan

Are you saying that a java app runs faster on Intel?

In the Windows vs Unix debate, given that the flavor of the month is Sarbanes Oxley, I would say that performance is second to stability and security?

I can't view the support info. We're not a Cognos customer yet. I'm doing research on infrastructure. I'm trying to get an understanding of what platform works best, and how much hardware is need. Mainly from folks like you as opposed to what Cognos would tell me. Ultimately I will need a lot of info from Cognos. But for now I'm just gathering info for the folks out there doing it.

As a Cognos customer I have asked this question directly to Cognos Support and more specificaly for Powerplay Enterprise server is it better to go for Unix or Windows plateforms.
The answer was that they do not recommend one plateform or another. They provide the applications for several plateforms ( hpux, aix , solaris, windows and some linux (redhat at least for reportnet and Cognos8).
According to them performance is the same regardless the plateform , everything properly tested and so on in their side.

One recommandation if you are starting with Cognos.
If you have only a Windows experience in your company stick to it, it will be too big step to start learning UNIX or linux at the same time, and vice-versa as well.
So considere also the in-house knowledge in Operating system you have, it will help a lot to fine tune the operating system to perform as well as possible with Cognos appli.

Now we have a mix of plateforms ( windows and hpux) depending on the application and of the need.
Reportnet in HPux in prod but in windows for test and dev, as hardware is cheaper for example

Assuming that I want the same functionality, would I spend more on infrastructure expense for Cognos, or BusinessObjects? Remember, I'm just dealing with infrastructure requirements. At this point, I'm not concerned about the applications and how they compare.

for crn, use windows. framework manager is only suited for windows. there are other wyas to make models in unix, but if you have FM it will amke your life easier.

Drewdaman : What are the other ways than Framework manager to create models ??

Why is Framework Manager suited for Windows? Is it not available on Unix? Or is it just easier to work with on Windows?

Are there any other pieces that are better in one camp or another?

Thanks for the info!

Uh...You all know you even with FrameWork Manager running only on Windows you can publish to ReportNet on Unix right? I'm doing it now. No problems.

Unix is the bomb as far as stability goes. Performance - well x86 processors have certainly closed the gap. A lot of it depends on what boxes you are comparing and how many concurrent users you are running.

I will agree that it is certainly easier to configure Cognos on Windows environments than Unix. We seem to hit all kinds of nice little bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back