Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows on a pc is faster than a SunBlade1000 Workstation?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

relz

Technical User
May 5, 2002
IL
Hi,
We've got a SunBlade1000 workstation with BIG problems. When it was purchased a few months ago it used to crash all the time(I wans't woking here yet), so the local Sun guy installed alot of Patches to fix the problem. Since then the station is VERY SLOW, especially when we run an application called 3D-Slicer heavy graphics) which runs on VTK.
The Sun guy came over and played around a bit and said he thinks it's because the application is running on the CPU instead of the Frame buffer, but he doesn't know how to fix it.
I really don't understand enough about frame buffers to know what he means.
Does any one have some useful simple advice to try and fix this problem?

As I stated in the subject, I'm embarrased to say that the same application runs faster on a Windows PC we have.

Please help,
R.E.L

Hi,

a frame buffer is a video memory that holds the pixels from which the video display (frame) is refreshed.

{or) a "frame buffer" is a graphics output device that provides accelerated 2D or 3D graphics

For a better idea , find the PID of the Xsun process and run the command /usr/proc/bin/pmap [PID] > /tmp/pmap. (It's important to redirect the output to a file or you could lock up your system in a deadly embrace.) View the file created and you will see something like this:

00010000 616K read/exec /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun
000B8000 32K read/write/exec /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun
000C0000 15656K read/write/exec [ heap ]

let me know this solved the problem?

ashok

Why dont you opt for a better video card having good amount of video RAM and texture memory as well (checkout first whether your application does texture calculations..)..

It could be that the app in question was written for Wincrap and ported (however poorly) to Solaris. I agree with Butterfly: look into a better video card.

I checked ashok's suggestion and looked at the output but didn't know what it is supposed to show me. I didn't have a network connection at the time so I couldn't post the output.

About Butterfly and packageman's suggestions,
When the work station was bought it ran perfectly with the same application, only after the Sun guy installed patches, to stop the station crashing, did the application slow down. So it still sounds like a software problem to me.

Oops - missed the part about it running OK before the patches. You could try looking at all the patches (showrev -p), and making an educated guess which patch is causing the problem and backing it out. Checking with the app vendor would help - they usually have patch revs that work with their product (or ones that don't).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back