Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ODBC Client setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasminracer

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2003
GB
Hi,
has anyone had any success with setting up the odbc drivers.

im sure i've set the server up fine.

entries in sqlhosts and services plus a server alias and a reboot for good measure.

on the PC ( win xp pro) i've installed the odbc drivers from the SDK

added the entry to windows\system32\drivers\etc\services

got the Host name resolving ok.

but when i use the dbping utility and try to do the I-connect test i get the -931 error which is can not locate service name.. but the blinking thing is in the services file!!! arghh im sure its the pc end as its not yet talking to the server

any help would stop me going insane

ta

Graham

Do you have the entry in the /etc/services file on the system? Check sqlhosts against it

yep entires in /etc/services that matches sql hosts and an entry in services on teh pc.

I can get it to work if i put the port number rather than the service name in the odbc driver. so it looks like the problem is with the pc.

I wonder if its like lmhosts where you have to process the file rather than hosts where you simply list the addresses

cheers G

Hi,
what system do you use for the Informix server. If it is a Windows Server you habe to build up the sqlhosts in the registry, Unix in dir /informix.

Did you use setnet32 to setup the client configuration ?

I wish someone could add somemore info to this thread, as I am experiencing the same problem. i.e -931. I have setup a Windows PC as my Informix DB and now want to connect to it via an ODBC Client. but keep getting errors. Why is it so difficult to set this thing up?? Can anyone help further?

Hi,

For an real Windows Environment (DB and Client) you can configure and test the connection via setnet32. If there is any problem pls post the error message.
Pleas make sure that you've installed the best ODBC Driver from Informix Client SDK (CSDK for your environment).
Which of these components have you installed yet ?
Informix DB (Version, OS), CSDK (Version, OS) ?

regards
Uwe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back