Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows/ Novell locking automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

act901

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
US
After several minutes of inactivity my computer locks and will prompt for the password again.
This first was occurring with my Novell login- it would give the following error...this workstation has been locked and can only be opened by the admin...which is me. Anyhow, I removed Novell and now the error comes up in Windows.
This must be somewhere in the system...
Any thoughts?
I am running windows 2k ,professional.

thanks

Sounds like the screen saver has the "Password Protect" check mark checked.....Uncheck it and the prompt for the password should go away.

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

thanks, I checked that. I think it's standby mode.
I have it set that when I push power, the computer goes into standby mode instead of shutting down. This seems to be what created the problem...something's not working right.

thanks for the response!

Disable all your power management functions, if you're worried about power usage, have the monitor shut down after about 15 minutes, Monitors not in standby mode take a lot of juice. Play around with the power management on your system until it's configured the way you want it. In my office no system on the floor is set to use power management. Just causes too many problems with network setups.

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Following on from what sobak said, ensure that this is done in the BIOS as well as within NT. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

thanks, that seems so silly for Microsoft to give these options for power management but it will inherently cause problems elsewhere...
...it's a "feature" not a bug....right?

thanks for the replies...

act,

Sometimes I think the Windows OS is one big bug itself but then I remember thats why I can pay the rent at the end of the month. Kind of a "Love Hate" relationship......I love to hate it...

Let us know if you run into any further problems...

david e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back