Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows not using all installed RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nifrabar

Programmer
Mar 16, 2003
NL
Hi Guys,
On my PC there is installed 8 Gb RAM.
Using hardware check it is reported that just about 2Gb is installed.
Is there somewhere a setting?

This regards windows 10 but this forum stops at windows 7 as far as can seen.

TIA
-Bart

You want to use the forum for windows 10 search for "WINDOWS 10" in the forum list. Are you running 32 bit windows 10 or 64 bit windows 10?

The maximum memory size that can be addressed in a 32 bit version of the windows OS is 2 gig. The maximum size for the 64 bit version is 16 Terabytes

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

>The maximum memory size that can be addressed in a 32 bit version of the windows OS is 2 gig.

Actually it is 4GB for 32-bit systems.

Thanks, I made a typo. The bottom line is that if he wants to use all 8 gig he needs to have the 64 bit version assuming the machine would support it. As for seeing what the machine actually has I would download the free application

Get the free version. It will tell you absolutely everything about the hardware on your machine.

Bill
New York State, USA

Can the machine address 8Gb RAM? What sort of machine is it (model number etc).

forum1828

>wants to use all 8 gig he needs to have the 64 bit version

Or enable PAE (if running a supported OS), although individual apps would still be limited to 2Gb unless 4GT is also enabled

Thanks for your replies.
I wil check about the 32/64 bits version which probably might cause this.
@strongm: maybe stupid Q but what is meant with PAE?
-Bart

Physical Address Extension PAE

It is a memory paging extension for 32 bit machines to access more then 4 gig, It was a bandaid to use bigger memory sizes but is no longer used on modern 64 bit machines.

Bill
New York State, USA

Hi Guys,
Thanks for yr feedback. Indeed the win10 is 32bit.
Going to upgrade to 64bit now.
Issue closed for now.
-Bart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back