Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Mobile Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonio622

Programmer
Jun 10, 2007
US
Ive been programming in C and VB.net for about 15 years. I am not currently employed as a software developer because I own a Heating & Air Conditioning business. In this field of work the laws and regulations are getting very strict. In a newly installed Heating and Air Conditioning system or a typical service call we are now now required to calculate and file various conditions and measurements to properly maintain comfort and safety.

I have been developing software on a Laptop to store client information, types of systems, record calculations, etc. using VB.net and SQL with an Access and SQL Server database.

All fine and dandy but I have realized that us HVAC Technicians dont all carry a Laptop on the job and if so it is to bulky to carry around. So I have decided to port to a Pocket PC.

So my questions on this topic are:

1) What Pocket PC is recommended to use Windows Mobile VB.net to desisgn this software?

2) Does a Windows Mobile Pocket PC have ADO.net database capability?

3) If so, what database Software can be used?
(SQL Server or/and Access?)

4) How large can a database actually be on a Pocket PC harddrive without crashing?

5) Is a Pocket PC much slower when connected and manipulating database tables?

Any information or recommendations are highly appreciated so I can move on to my GOALS!

Thank You

In my opinion (which may differ from others!):

1. You don't design the software on the PPC, use Visual Studio 2005 (you may need Professional edition).

2. You can use web services if you want to pass data from a PPC to a central database and vice-versa. If you are passing data while synched (or connected to a network) you can use the synchronisation feature of SQL Server 2000/CE.

3. Use SQL Server CE.

4. In my experience, PPC databases can become corrupted, but regular compacting helps prevent this. The size of the PPC memory will be the restriction when using large datasets.

5. Yes, much slower. But bear in mind some PPC's only have 200Mhz processors and not much RAM. I use a Dell Axim X50 (624Mhz and 64Mb) and performance is, at best, adequate.

Have you Googled this ? I also work in the building services maintenance industry and there are tons of packages out there that may meet your needs.

I have just brought an iPaq, and will be looking for something very similar to manage projects and call-out jobs.

I have had a look at the inner workings of WM3 and have noticed that it uses Access database files as standard and .netCF 1.0 is already installed.

I done a google and found that microsoft provides sdk's for creating apps for pda/smart phones (Searched: '"vb.net" windows mobile').

This is as far as I got, due to working on other projects at the moment.

If I find anything useful, I'll post it on here for you.

I've developed a number of applications for Windows CE/Pocket PC devices and there are a number of things you should beware of.

1. get a device that already has the .NET Compact Framework installed in the ROM. It's easy enough to install it but if a full hardware reset it required it will need to be reinstalled.

2. Get the OpenNetCF.org extensions. They make programming the device a joy as they fill in all the missing features of .NET CF.

3. Be prepared to rethink your approach to designing applications. Use as few forms as possible (show and hide multiple panels on a single form if possible) as creating and switching between forms is slow and uses up RAM. Remember also there is no ability to resize forms so you have to work within this limitation.

4. ADO.NET DataAdapters and DataSets are well supported in the Compact Framework so use them. It's quite easy to upload and download datasets (they are transferred as XML) and this is a standard way of passing data to and from .NET applications on the 'server' PC. I have even used the GPRS packet transfer mechanism to send data over the mobile phone network and G3 should work even better. This may also remove the need to actually have a 'Database' on the device provided that you transfer all the necessary data for the application in one or more datasets.

5. The size of database that can be accommodated depends entirely on the amount of RAM available. I never came close to using all the memory on a 64Mb device but your application may be different. If possible (or necessary) consider adding additional RAM in the form of an SD or Compact Flash card as these can provide several GB of RAM and could be preloaded with the database.

6. Use Visual Studio 2005 Professional (using VB or C#) It provides a superb platform for development of mobile device applications including an excellent simulator so that you don't need an actual device and can debug your program with ease.

Good Luck

Bob Boffin

Thanks to all! I just purchased the Verizon XV6700 Pocket PC & looking forward to diving into this project.

I have one more question:

I have Visual Basic.net 2003 Professional and it contains Mobile features.

I have searched and found Visual Studio 2008 Beta.
Does this contain Mobile Features?

The mobile features in VB.NET 2003 Professional work very well and if you have a copy then use it to develop your skills rather than spending money on VS 2005.

All of my mobile apps were developed using VS 2003 so I speak from experience. The only bug I remember that caused me any particular grief was that every so often the vbproj file would get corrupted and 'forget' that some of the vb files were actually forms so you could no longer open the form designer. I wrote an awk script that would fix this when it occurred so if it happens to you let me know if you'd like a copy.

Bob Boffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back