Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Messenger !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyderbyteGraphX

Technical User
Feb 19, 2003
CA
I can not keep the windows messenger from loading not only at startup but also WHILE MSN messenger [6.0] is running. The windows messenger periodically opens up in the system tray.
I've removed it I don't know how many times from the Administrative Tools>Services Window, disabled it etc...but it STILL comes back!

What could I be overlooking??? It's driving me nuts LOL

any help would be appreciated.

The Messenger service is different than Windows Messenger. The Messenger service is an aid to providing Net Send messages and administrative alerts in a Netbios Windows Networ. You can stop and disable this service all you want but it has nothing to do with the Messenger client that is your problem.

This is the MS KB on how to stop Windows Messenger:
I use the Group Policy change suggested there, but if you are using XP Home make the registry edit. There is a complete list of suggestions here:

Well, it may not have anything to do with msn messenger...but the only time windows messenger loads in the system tray is when I start up [I always exit it immediately] and periodically when msn messenger is running. If msn messenger is NOT running OR in the system tray, the windows messenger doesn't load.... So if they're not related it seems odd wouldn't you say?

I'm just frustrated at it.

thanks!

Just be clear that Administrative Tools/Services has nothing to do with the Windows Messenger. Nothing.

Messenger will start up if:

. Not told to do so in Outlook and Outlook Express
. Not told to do so at startup with a Group Policy edit or a registry change as I suggested above:
. If you have SP1 installed, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, look at the left for the iconic Set Program Access and Defaults, and remove Messenger from there.

MSN and Windows Messenger are not related. You can prevent Messenger for autostarting at startup, but this does not prevent it from being called at some point. You now have all the tools to disable Messenger from ever starting.

If you would like to stop it from loading completely, go to Program Files directory, look for Folder named Messenger and just simply rename it. I would suggest Messenger Old or something along those lines in case you ever decided to use it again.

Quick and simple fix. :D

Josh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back