Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Messenger - Removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sregor

Technical User
Mar 24, 2002
GB
We operate Windows XP Pro and would like to remove Messenger or just stop it from autoloading when we check for emails.

We've checked the registry without luck, is there a way to disable it or are we stuck with it?

This is a readers tip to the Langa list (3-18-2002)

I like it.

1) You may have noticed when you go to Add/Remove programs and try to delete extra Windows components (like Messenger, which I don't want), you only a few items. If you want all possible Windows components you can uninstall, go into the \Windows\Inf directory, edit SYSOC.INF and remove the word "hide" and replace it with, well nothing. [I.E. replace instances of ",HIDE," with ",,"] You can then add/install all the Windows components possible, including Windows Messenger.

In reply to Jakespeare's post - we have performed a search for the file named SYSOC.INF without result.

We were in great hope there for a minute or two.

Have you enabled "show all files" if not
in explorer
view-folder options-view tab-check "show all files"-uncheck "hide file extesions".
then go to
c:\windows\inf
find sysoc.inf right click on it and click "open"
look down the file for all examples of (,hide) and remove it.
ie bla2bla2,hide,7 becomes
bla2bla2,7
save it, and when you go back into add/remove programs you will see messenger.

This is another way to remove it.
Start -> Run ->
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove Regards
Lee Williams
IT Project Manager
Bsc Computer Science [smarty]

Thanks to all who responded.

We did a quick fix of closing down all apps that link to Messenger and then went to C:\Program Files\Messenger and renamed the little bugger to something else!

It's only taken us a day and as half to think of that! Duh!

A huge thanx to Lee Williams. If only everything else in this world was that simple to get rid off.

Absolutely ace bit of advice, short, easy to understand and 'it does exactly what it says on the packet'!

[2thumbsup]

Regards
Sandy Rogers

For others who read this post there is and FAQ here on this site thta tell how>

How To uninstall Windows Messenger completly from your computer
faq779-1380 ----
"eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." - annon

Hey, I tried my own advice, and it works excellent.

It took me 5 mins, and Messenger is totally removed.

> As far as finding sysoc.inf, I have my settings to show all files.

> I went into Add/Remove - Windows Files / and Messenger was there. Click remove. Gone.

hi,

how about going to start,my computer, programs files, you will see a messenger file. rename it to messengerold. it should stop from always loading. It you want to use it again, just reneme messanger.

mike

Type "gpedit.msc" without the quotes into Run, and you will get the Group Policy Editor. Be careful as you can really get yourself in trouble with this program. If you don't understand what you're changing, your best bet is not to change it. You can really do some damage, btw, you must be logged in as an administrator to do any of this.

Exit Messenger before you begin. Start navigating at Computer Configuration. Next, go to Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Messenger, double-click "Do Not Allow Windows Messenger To Be Run," and choose Enable to block Messenger from loading. This setting has the added bonus of not automatically loading the Messenger every time you load Microsoft Outlook and other Microsoft applications, so if you never use Windows Messenger, you can save resources by blocking its incessant loading.

This tip was found at:

To remove WIndows Messnger (not MSN Messenger) try this... to to start/run/ then type "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove". It should work for you... Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back