Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows messenger keeps getting launched in background

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheerful

Programmer
Mar 4, 2003
US
I keep find msmsgs.exe in Task Manager. I already tried all the ways to disable it from automatically start up (disable it in outlook, gpedit, uncheck messenger preference, disable service, etc). Yet, no matter how many times I kill it in Task Manager, it always comes up a min later.

I do need to run messenger from time to time. But I do NOT want it to run in background all the time. Why it keeps getting relaunched?

Thanks!

Rename messenger folder to M,what ever looks for it to load won't find it.

Already done with msconfig and I have the latest version. I don't want to rename b/c I need to run it every week. Looks like I have to leave it.

Rename it and use a batch file to name it back when you want to use it.

goto to the registry key

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F3A614DC-ABE0-11d2-A441-00C04F795683}\LocalServer32

and in the field default "reg_sz"
change "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe"

to "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs1.exe"

this will prevent msn service to start at windows startup

I was thinking about this problem, and I think it is your anti-virus software that is running Messenger. I know Norton AV will launch it is set (by default it is) to scan file transfers from Messenger.

Check the configurations settings of your AV to see if it is asked to scan Messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back