Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows messenger keeps getting launched in background

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheerful

Programmer
Mar 4, 2003
US
I keep find msmsgs.exe in Task Manager. I already tried all the ways to disable it from automatically start up (disable it in outlook, gpedit, uncheck messenger preference, disable service, etc). Yet, no matter how many times I kill it in Task Manager, it always comes up a min later.

I do need to run messenger from time to time. But I do NOT want it to run in background all the time. Why it keeps getting relaunched?

Thanks!

In the Messenger Options / Preferences did you uncheck the option to allow this program to run in the background? Are you running anything else that could be launching Messenger?

Also the Service "Messenger" has nothing to do with Windows (or MSN) Messenger they are different processes.

alternatively, go into program files\messenger and rename the file!

That option is unchecked. There is no Messenger icon in system tray / task bar. There is NO app running at all, just Task Manager. The option in Outlook is disabled. gpedit is used to set not to start messenger initially. Yet, msmsgs.exe keeps showing up in Taks Manager, no matter how many times I kill it.

I can NOT disable Messenger all together since I do need to run it occasionally.

I wrote a little vbscript that I use to disable my messenger for me. If you like, I can post the "source" of it this group so you as well as everyone can see its not a virus and you can save the text to a .vbs file and run it once it's on your PC or you can just do what it's doing manually.

Sorry I can't tell ya right now, but I made a vbscript file so I wouldn't have to remember. :)

I will post it from home when I get there...

Cheers!

It is very strange that Msmsgs.exe keeps relaunching itself without you rebooting or logging off and on. Something is either relaunching it or Task Manager is failing to End Process on it.

What user rights do you have when you kill it with Task Manager? Are your permissions correct to delete Msmsgs.exe?
If so perhaps you could supply a list of running programs and processes for perusal.

Let me suggest two alternative approaches to controlling the use of Messenger on an as-needed basis:

Method #1: If you have SP1 installed, use the 'Program Access and Defaults' feature of Add/Remove Program to make something else the default Messenger client.

Method #2: If you rename the folder \Program Files\Messenger to anything else, it will not be found by any program that wants to start it. When you want to enable Messenger, restore the original name.

I am running as the admin and msmsgs.exe does disappear from task manager for about 1 min b4 it reappears. And I can not remove it b/c I NEED to run it occasionally.

"Shoot the messenger" has nothing to do with Windowns Messenger. It is disabling the messenger service that is used by advertiser.

Unistall and reinstall everytime I want to run it does not sound very attractive.

Microsoft really suck!

OK, uninstall Messenger. Do not use it. It is integrated with outlook and every time you start outlook...

Use Trillian. I do.

You can use ZoneAlarm Pro 3x or higher (4x now) and you can set ZA to stop messenger from running.

Are you using Hotmail? If you kill messenger and then get in to your hotmail account, this will reload the messenger program.

No, it is not Outlook. I've unchecked that box and starting outlook does NOT start msmsges.exe -- It starts in about 1 min after I kill it in Task Manager, without any program running.

It would help to know what programs and processes are running at the relaunching of Messenger.

NO programs are running at relaunch time. Task Manager has no other process popping up. There is NO activity between kill and relaunch.

Go to Start, Run - msconfig. Under the 'Startup' tab, make sure that the messenger program is not checked. Sometimes it's the simple things that mess you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back