Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Messenger Automatically Signing In (when I've told it not to!) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xscape

Programmer
Apr 18, 2001
GB
Hi,

I installed XP a little while ago and used Windows Messenger to sign in with my Hotmail account. The problem is, whenever I open MS Outlook Express 6 it automatically signs me into messenger. I've set the Options in Outlook Express so there's no check in the "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" box but still it's hijacking my Hotmail account to sign in! I've set it so Messenger doesn't start when Windows loads, but it still starts when I open OE. Any ideas as to how I can stop this? Anything I've missed?

Thanks a lot!

If by any chance you have zonealarm firewall or another that gives you manual control over programs access the internet,, just deny it access to everything. ( intranet-internet-server-etc ) by putting a red X in each .
Then when you log into Outlook Express, The msgr icon in the taskbar will blink once or twice but not connect.
By doing it that way, you can always go back and enable it at any time.
I tried everything else short of uninstalling the damn thing. Block Firewall Access!!!!

Just my thought, XDon

You can go look in the group policy ( run GPEDIT.MSC on XP Pro ). Go to Local Computer, administrative templates, windows components and the windows messenger. There will be 2 policies you can adjust there. Try that.

-Diggz!

If you have Outlook installed you can go to tools, instant messaging, options and under the preferences tab yopu will find options to prevent instant messaging loading or running in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back