Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Messenger and 100% CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuartp

Technical User
Feb 22, 2001
GB
Ever since I installed a new video game (and presumably directx 9 as well) Windows Messenger in XP Pro refuses to start. When I try, svchost.exe takes 100% of cpu and the only way to stop it is to kill the messenger process.

I have looked through lots of posts and tried everything including:

Updating to Directx 9.0a
Updating my video card drivers
Running sfc /scannow
Reinstalling Windows Messenger
Disabling the Windows XP firewall.

None of this has worked and I cannot use Messenger. I don't use any type of router I connect straight to the internet through dial up.

Removing Directx 9a isn't something I really want to do as the game probably needs it. Using MSN Messenger instead isn't an option either - it has to be Windows Messenger so I can connect to an Exchange Server.

Has anyone else found a solution to this please?

It was Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

I found the problem eventually. Had to do a system roll back to before it was installed, then install DX9.0a then reinstall the game. That fixed it.

Hey Stu,

You said you had found the problem but did not post what =( ? What did you find?

As far as DX9 for ViceCity, i could be wrong but I believe VC was released well before DX9 appeared. Unless there has been a download patch for VC to allow intervention with DX9!?

Also, you spoke of Messenger and just for the record which messenger are you speaking of? ie: MSN messenger ?

Thanx!

-Z

Vice City installs DX 9 automatically. It was not MSN Messenger it was the Windows Messenger that comes with Windows XP.

I found that DX9 stops Windows Messenger from signing in... it causes svchosts.exe to use 100% of cpu. This is a problem with DX9. Microsoft fixed it in DX9a. But simply installing 9a over 9 will not fix the problem. What i found is that you need to do a winxp system rollback, to take out Vice City and go back to DX8, install DX9a and then reinstall the game. Because you have a more recent version of DX than what the game wants to install, it will leave it alone. Messenger then works happily.

Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back