Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ataylor44

Technical User
May 17, 2000
US
I just reverted back to windows first edition because I edit video and since loading second edition and ME the video has had problems but thats not the real problem but I thought you might wonder why I reloaded an older version of windows.When I click on Internet Explorer to set up my cable modem for the internet right away it says that I don't have enouth memory to run this,close other resources and try again.I have 384 megs of ram,two 30 gig drives in a raid 0,PII 400 and have not loaded any programs yet.Can anyone tell me why it says that?Also there is nothing running in the background but Explorer and systray.

Seems like I remember someone saying on here that the old W95, could only use so much RAM. Could that be it?

check power supply,terminaters,and make sure memory is set in cmos. hope it helps

jd

Hey thanks for the response but this is what I did to cause the problem.I was told in another news group that if I didn't want to lose all my data and directory structure that I could do a deltree in dos of the programs directory and the Windows directory,so that is what I did and that's why I had the memory problem.So I reformatted and reloaded win98 and everthing worked.Thanks Again

EXPLORER and SYSTRAY may not be the only thing running - look for a free utility that can actually show everything that is running - perhaps SYSINFO can do it (I am not at home where I can look all of this up). I found several background processes, using utilities, that I could not see by doing the CTL+ALT+DEL. MSCONFIG would let me stop other processes but these new ones came in AFTER startup.

Hope this will give you some aid - if not now, then in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back