Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Memory Limits 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have heard that Windows 98 has a limit to how much memory it supports. I found something on Microsoft's web page for Win3.1 limits of 512 MB for std mode and 256 MB for enhanced. I heard that Win 98 had a limit of 128 MB which I find hard to believe. Can anyone set me straight on this? I don't want to upgrade to ME if I can stick with Win98.

I've never heard that you can have too much memory. As long as your board supports it, 98 will run it. I could find nothing on microsoft's webpage to disprove this. I know for sure its not 128 because i have a 98 machine that i have 512MB of ram in...

My understanding is that while Windows 98 has no theoretical memory limit, the memory management becomes less efficient over 512MB. I have numerous of my customers' machines running well over 128 quite nicely thank you. At this point I would agree with your desire to stay with Win98 over ME. Although I have no conclusive proof that ME is bad a number of stories have been related to me of real problems.

Hope this helps

tkral

Windows 98 can only cache 320 meg, but can "see" up to 2 gig. You'll notice a slowdown (maybe not) with more than 320 meg in Win98.
This does not apply to NT/2K/XP. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Yes, this subject has been discussed elsewhere, although without a firm result. Suffice to say I used to run 512Mb of RAM on Win98 and experienced random lockups and blue screens but since reducing to 256Mb I've had no problems. A maximum cache-able figure I've read about is 384Mb, although if this is correct is anyone's guess. Andy.

Well according to MS the Cache limit in Windows 9x (Even ME has this issue) is 320 meg. More than that and you will run into performance issues. Now whether or not this performance loss is noticeable in day to day operations is doubtful. You will notice there performance issues with gaming. (though not heavily)You can minimize this with a heavy duty 3D card. But my suggestion is stick with 256 meg with NON NT based Windows OS.

Remember Windows 9x can "see" 2GB of RAM. The problem is the system cannot cache out more than 320Meg at a time for system use. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back