Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Media Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

lm1964

Technical User
Oct 26, 2008
US
I am using Windows XP. I want to remove "Windows Media Player" but when I click the remove I get the message
Windows Media Player must be closed in order to do the rollback. Can someone explain how to do that?
Thanks

Thanks for the info. Zelandakh....I opened the task window and Media Player was not playing.
Linney...I tried what the article said and I still get that message

What version of WMP are you trying to remove? and why?

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

I am trying to remove WMP 11 because when I want to play something it doesn't work

Do you have Internet Explorer or other browsers or even other media players open when attempting to rollback?

Do you have access to a System Restore point before 11 was installed?

Try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates (including Wmp 11 + Service Packs) but your files and programs will be untouched. The updates lost include anything that you added later than the version of files on the XP CD.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Hi,
Instead of removing WMP, why not try to determine why it is not working - What media types have you tried? Do all fail to work? What errors do you get?

You can install something like RealPlayer and have it handle all your media types and still leave WMP in place.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

You may have done the same thing I did, that is remove all the 'Hotfix Uninstallers' (I did it thru CCleaner). That will stop you from rolling back to a previous version & if that's the case, System Restore won't help. If all you need is a different media player to play whatever file you want. VideoLAN plays most files & is a free download @:

You might also try checking in Add/Remove Programs and delete it from there (Revo Uninstaller works better, a free download). It won't remove it but you can go to M$'s web site, download MP 11, reinstall if you like that resource hog & then try rolling it back. Or, as linney suggested, do a repair install.

Bob

Or Media Player Classic; you don't even need to install it to use it.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

I would go with VLC as well, it's got most of the common codecs already there rather than having to download codec packs.

Simon

Thank all of you for your help. I downloaded Real Player
Bob

Wow, even worse than WMP :eek: Good luck with that.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back