Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Media Player problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2003
GB
Can anyone tell me how to stop windows media player trying to start every CD I put in the CD player please, it is driving me nuts.

When student asks a questions, often the most obvious solution is the answer.

Actually, what I mean to say is how can I stop the CD player automatically trying to start what ever is in the CD player.

I want to be able to put in any sort of CD, and then start it myself at my convenience, not have windows interupt what I am doing just because I loaded a CD into the drive.

And why does it do that anyway? it is a useless piece of microsoft programming

1. You can disable AutoPlay in Group Policy

2. Or, make the registry entry directly for CD-Rom Drive:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
change "autorun" to 0 (zero) to turn off autorun
change "autorun" to 1 (one) to turn on autorun

3. As a general discussion of AutoPlay in Win2k:

A Value Name of NoDriveTypeAutoRun, a REG_DWORD data type, can be configured to disable Autoplay on all drives of the specified types. NoDriveTypeAutoRun can be located at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

The data value to set is determinined by adding the following:

Value Meaning
0x1 Disables Autoplay on drives of unknown type.
0x4 Disables Autoplay on removable drives.
0x8 Disables Autoplay on fixed drives.
0x10 Disables Autoplay on network drives.
0x20 Disables Autoplay on CD-ROM drives.
0x40 Disables Autoplay on RAM disks.
0x80 Disables Autoplay on drives of unknown type.
0xFF Disables Autoplay on all types of drives.
A data value of 0x95 is the default, which disables Autoplay on unknown drives, floppy drives, and network drives.
If Autorun is 0, Autoplay is disabled on all drives. If Autorun is 1, you can hold down the shift key as you change media to prevent Media Change Notification (MCN). Appropriate settings in NoDriveAutoRun also disable Autoplay.

When Autoplay is enabled it begins as soon as you insert media, so setup programs and music start immediately.

NOTE: If NoDriveAutoRun or NoDriveTypeAutoRun are set in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive, then these setting in HKEY_USERS and HKEY_CURRENT_USER are ignored.

NOTE: If you set the NoDriveTypeAutoRun value via the Disable Autoplay Group Policy, you can add the CD-ROM drive type or disable Autoplay on all drive types. Any other settings must be done via the registry.

Source:JSI

You can also hold the shift key down when inserting the CD and this will prevent the AutoRun feature. Granted you would have to do this everytime you inserted a CD, but it might be useful info if you are going to numerous machines and don't have the ability to run regedit or administer Group Policy.

Good Luck.

Thanks for your input, with the group policy thing, is it simple or is it a case of doing something with scripts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back