Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Media Player Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpder

Technical User
Sep 22, 2002
AU
I am running Windows NT with SP6a applied.
When I run Windows Media Player I get the following error:
"OLEChannelWnd: mplayer2.exe DLL initialization failed. Initialization of the dynamic link library C:\WINNT\System32\DDRAW.DLL failed. The process is terminating abnormally"

Can anyone give a solution?

simple (and possibly worthless) suggestion:

go to the windows update site

change your options on the left frame to let you see the update catalog (click on "personalize windows update" and you will find the option).

navigate through the dark soupy site and find the windows media player download

download and re-install Windows Media Player

If that doesn't work, , , ,

I like WinAmp

Jay Mosser
jaym@optymgroup.com

Thanks... but I have reinstalled Media Player and reapplied SP6a and still have the same problem.
I also tried to install WinAmp but ran into the same problem and it would not install.

Well there is always the radio, , , just kidding,

As a last resort, you might try re-installing directx. I read an article related to problems with the same DLL and it is part of dirrectx.

I am currious to know if it helps,

Jay Mosser
jaym@optymgroup.com

Directx is included in Service Pack 6a which has been reinstalled, so unfortunately that has not fixed the problem.

don't count on the service pack. it's purpose is to update files that are of an earlier rev. it may or may not replace a damaged file. I did more research and I am pretty sure it is a dirrectx related problem. I have seen 5 articles related to the same dll and similar errors. they were all with games, but I suspect your issue is same.

I hear what you say, but what more can I do - I have reinstalled Windows Media Player and reapplied SP6a.

Go to MS and download the latest directx for 4.0 and manualy uninstall and reinstall it. (I haven't acutally looked to see if you can uninstall dirrectx). The other option of a radio is still out there, , , still kidding. If that doesn't fix it, I suggest calling Mr. Gates at 1-800-I-Hate-IT.

good luck and share the answer with me when you get it, I am out of ideas,

Jay Mosser
jaym@optymgroup.com

Thanks for all your help, but...the only way to get DirectX for NT is in Service Packs. You cannot get DirectX for NT as a standalone.

So I think I will have to make that phone call (thanks for the number!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back