Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Media Center 2005 video not compatible error

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcbuilder

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
US
I just installed Windows Media Center 2005 on a shuttle box and everything loaded fine. When I open the Media center itself I get a windows pop up error that says "Your video card or drivers are not compatible with media center". I have searched everywhere for an answer and did not see one. There are people out there posting this problem, but no responses have been given yet. If I close out the error Media center then opens and runs just fine. Is this because I do not have a TV card installed? Need Help, Thanks.

MCE requires a video card with at least 64 megs of video ram. If it does not, it will throw the error you are seeing.
You'll also need a capture card that has BDA drivers and encodes MPEG2 in hardware and outputs in that format to the MCE program. If you can't emulate that (and I have huge doubts that you can emulate that) your MCE experience will be quite severely diminished.

-- From the Microsoft Media Center Newsgroups
Author: Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Yea I put a 64MB video card in the machine and loaded the drivers and the error stop coming up. So far so good.
Thanks for the tip!!

Hope it works out for you. There are good reasons why the Media Center install and hardware are considered essentially OEM stuff. If there are other issues please post again.

Bill Castner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back