Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishguy730

Technical User
Dec 28, 2005
US
I'm running ME on a HP Pavillion. My PC has 384k memory. Regardless of how many apps are open after a boot, after a short while I seem to run out of memory and apps stop working. It seems that the OS doesn't release memory back after an app is shut down. I end up rebooting several times a day. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this problem

Upgrade to XP?

Have you done any investigation as to what's actually running? (eg, process explorer from
Have you run any spyware detection apps (eg, adaware, spybot, hijackthis)?

Presuming you have up to date virus protection.

Yes please do upgrade to xp (keep in mind that xp uses 128MB RAM just to run it) but your computer should do fine running it.

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

TRY REINSTALLING INTERNET EXPLORER.

Internet Explorer is the core of the system that bill gates created.

People think the Operating System can work without it, but definitely it can't work without it because the OS is part of the Internet Explorer Core "IEXPLORE.EXE"

CompEngPro:
I dont know about that, I installed ME, 98SE and XP Pro lite. I do not have IE at all and dont use any of its files, regardless what MS says on this issue. I even gave expert wittness advise on some court cases about this issue.
So it does work much faster and more reliable without IE.
Regards

Jurgen

windos Me always has an issue in releasing memory my best advice if you don't want to keep rebooting your computer over and over is, install windows xp!

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back