Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows ME will not start in normal of safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinglygy

Technical User
Mar 22, 2003
US
I did a scan update and it hung up while uploading IE 6. when I tried to restart I got the blue screen say "windows protection error you need to restart computer system halted. I believe I had viruses on the computer before all of this but now I can't even get into the computer. I have tried misconfig and scanreg but I must be doing it wrong because nothing is working and to top it all off I don't have recovery disks or the Windows ME disk.

Thanks

Try booting into DOS and type scanreg /restore Pick a date to go back to and hope like hell. Failing that you may have to format and reload Windows...........Dave

In my original message I had already tried scanreg/restore but in DOS it gave me (bad command)

Did you include the space?
c:\>scanreg /restore
^
This executable is in my Windows\Command directory, which should make it executable from anywhere in DOS. If it's not there, find out where it is and run it from its containing folder(directory).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back