Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Me STILL won't shutdown!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi there...

Recently my computer won't shutdown. It will goes black and then it freezes. Then I have to do a manual shutoff. It's really getting annoying. I have tried to create a shortcut of RUNDLL32.EXE like the previous thread said to do if you have a shutoff problem. That didn't work.

Can anyone tell me what I should do. I would be really appreciated.

Paul
speedballz@hotmail.com

alternately..there is another option. It sounds like Me is not allowing some system files to be released upon shutdown. You should double check what you load and make sure the newest driver is avail for all. Try typing mdconfig and uncheck everything not required by winme. Load just the basic and see if it will shutdown. Make sure power management is turned off as well. If that doesnt do it then try a system restore to see if some system files have be modified...if it cures try turing stuff on one at a time to see whats causing it.

I just have a couple of questions. What have you loaded or added to your system? Have you check the power setting on the BIOS to see if the shutdown and restart is enabled? If it is
disable it. Better than that disable the power manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back