Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME start up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfie1noakes

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2002
GB
I have a PC with ME loaded, and am having terrible problems getting past any sort of startup screen.

It starts to load after the POST process,and then comes up on the DOS screen saying "returning to windows". A white progress bar appears along the bottom of the screen, and then it flips into what should be the startup desktop. The mouse appears on screen, by that is it. There is no desktop, no start bar nothing.

When you CTRL/ALT/DEL, it has no processes running etc.

If you then press the power button, it briefly comes up with a message about hibernating, but it then shuts down.

If you try and hit F8 for safe mode during startup, nothing happens??

I am a bit stuck at the moment, so any ideas etc.. would be great..

Andy

Hold down the control key completely while booting. Don't tap it, just hold it down after the POST beep. See if you can get into safe mode.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

OK,

Great tip, got me into safe mode a treat... but the bad news. It still goes into the same screen as when booting in normal mode.. except this time it has "safe mode" in ech corner!

It does exactly the same thing, no tasks running, no processes, no start bar etc..

Just have to shut it back down..? I am still very stuck..

Andy

Try the following, if you don't have a boot disk, go to bootdisk.com

Also, if this doesn't help, give us some more info. When did this start would be a big help?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

OK, thanks again for the tips.

Certainly got me into Progman etc.. followed the instructions, restarted..... still the same.

I have however, managed to get the HD out, and piggy backed onto a good machine. Got what I want off of the old one, and its FORMAT time for the old one now!!

Cheers for your input

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back