Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Me Security Prob ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomi

Programmer
Nov 19, 2001
US
My friemd was using my laptop and he says when he started the second time all the configuration automatically changed.Now all the icons that were there in the desk top are no more there and it doesnt allow you to do anything.Whenever My computer icon or Inet explorer Icon is clicked it displays a message'Your security settings doesn' allow you to run Acticex controls and so this page may nt be displayed' and nothing comes up after that.The start button is also not working.When that is clicked, nothing happens even the programs dont appear.
I can' figure out what is wrong.I have booted in the safe mode and the files and folders are still there.I have some very important data which I do not want to loose.Can somebody help me ???
Tom

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date to before when your computer worked right. Before the error(s) started occuring.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem. Emachines, Celeron 600, 256 Mb RAM, 10 Gb HDD, ADSL.

Update your antivirus, temporarily disable your screen saver (choose None) and scan with your anti-virus set to scan All Files. Update and scan bi-monthly.

You can scan on-line to double-check your Windows scanner at
*** Mandatory (get a firewall of any brand) - Get free Zone Alarm personal firewall anti-hacker countermeasure from (not the ZA Pro demo) 'Don't let anything out to the Internet you don't know what it is.' Also please see for more information on why all on-line home computers should be firewall enabled. Emachines, Celeron 600, 256 Mb RAM, 10 Gb HDD, ADSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back