Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows me modem monitor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsantjane

Technical User
Feb 15, 2006
US
System was working fine until I shutdown to move. When I installed it in new location it gives me a black screen with a message" Monitor in power safe mode activate using PC" I have check the power connection and the leads. Also moved to a new power connection. At one time I got "modem is ok" message. I click on the flag key and it says monitor ok. The monitor also works on other computer. How do I get it out of Power Safe Mode?

does other computer's monitor show same symptons if used with moved machine?

you could try resetting the CMOS (either with the mobo jumper or by removing the battery from the mobo for a few minutes). I'd doubt its the battery per se, as that just usually loses all setting, so you have to re-enter them.

Got any other ideas, I have read for 4 days and have search high and low for an answer. I have did alittle more questioning about what happened and it seem one of the boys played a game on it right after it was hooked up and then turned it back off. But still don't make any since to me. It is probably something simple I have not done, but I can't think of it. No loss if I have to reload everything.

did you try resetting the CMOS?

its not completely clear from description - but sounds like your machine isn't actually booting at all. Is that what's happening (eg, no beeps, perhaps just the fans whirring, lights on)? Sometimes resetting CMOS fixes this. Sometimes its the power supply that's died (often not realised as fans and lights DO work).

So if resetting CMOS no good, I'd suggest buying a new power supply (they're not expensive - can get them for less than £10 here in UK).

Yes exactly. I tried to check the power supply but really didn't know how to do it. And reseting the cmos is new to me completely. I know what it is and where it is but not how to set it. I will do some reading and find out how or if you can tell me, I for sure will try.

The cmos I mentioned above - simplest way is to remove the mobo battery for several minutes (you know, the circular silver battery - its obvious once you've opened case).

Its simpler to buy a new power supply than to buy tools to test old one! (easy to replace - make sure you get one the same type - most fit in same sort of space, but there are variations, at least 350 Watts. Disconnect where connected, unscrew from case, screw new one in, connect as approriate).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back