Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME Domain Logon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2003
US
We have one PC in our network that is running Windows ME that autologons. It will not stop at the Network logon box. I have checked all of the setings in the rigistry and there is no place that is telling the OS to do this. I have uninstalled/reinstalled TCP/IP and Client for MS Networks to make sure that they are not corrupt. I have searched the microsoft knowledgebase for an answer and none of those helped. When you click on Start>Log Off, the network logon will appear and let you log in to the network. Does anyone have an answer short of reinstalling a different OS (which I am glad to do, I just don't have the time right now). Thanks for your help.

I have what I think is a similar problem that the FAQs aren't answering. I have a 4 computer home network. 2 run 98, 1 runs ME, 1 runs XPPro. The ME computer is not logging on to the network when I turn it on unless I logoff. At that point up comes the logon screen that is supposed to come up after a cold boot. How do I get the ME machine to logon at bootup? It used to until I had to reinstall ME. I have TweakUI and have turned off the autologon.

That is the same problem that we are having. I have tried Tweak UI as well. Nothing saeems to work, and M$ is not helping either.

I also had this problem. I had been looking for a solution for days, then out of desperation rather than knowledge, I decided to add the NetBeui protocol along with the TCPIP which was already installed and BINGO, the domain logon box now appears before the desktop is generated. Why, who knows, I'm just glad its working for me !!!

Let me know how you get on

Try deleting all the .PWL files in C:\WINDOWS. These are called Password List files. If someone (or you) entered a USERNAME and no password at the logon prompt at some point, they were asked if this should be a default logon from then on. If they answered yes, they'll never see the logon prompt again. This is probably your problem.

Also check and make sure that the Client for Microsoft Networks is added in the network devices control panel.

HAVE YOU TRIED AND GOING IN CONTROL PANEL UNDERPASSWORDS AND RESETTING IT MEANING_GOING IN AND DELETING IT AND RESTARTING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back