Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME disk space errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

zay

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
US
Windows Me is not reading disk space accurately. (Shows less than what's actually there). I've narrowed it down to a few possible reasons: memory corrupt, failing hard drive or just an Windows ME error. Any other suggestions to fix?

Have you tried running Scandskw.exe (ScanDisk) in the Start->Run box?

Perhaps there is an error in FSInfoSector and ScanDisk can remedy the problem.

Let us know.

Rgds

No I haven't but thanks for the info and I will let you know.

zay,

how do you know? what are you comparing its figures with? are we talking a big difference? are you aware of the different definitions of gigabyte, which can often result in people thinking they've 'lost' disk space? Eg, 60GB drive will contain 60,000,000,000 bytes (ie, 60 billion bytes). But, software reporting on that space may define a gigabyte as 1,024,000,000, 1,048,576,000 (1000 time 1024 squared) or 1,073,741,824 (1024 cubed) bytes. This last definition leaves a 60GB drive showing as 55.88GB

yes i am very aware of the differences. i figured it may be the possible three because the system resource figures (dropped a full 20%)have gone down dramatically without the use or installation of any TSR's and/or applications running.

I had a similar problem to this - I wasn't even aware that I had a problem until I ran a find and fix with Norton System Tools, which fixed the problem there and then. Sorry I can't remember the exact details of what happened, but System Tools may work for you.. Ahhhhh, I see you have a machine that goes Bing!

I have the same problem. Memory space just seems to dissapear. Sometimes I will see that I have (for example) 100MB spare. I will look 30 seconds later, without having opened any programs, and I will have 95MB spare. I have tried Scandisk and Norton but they dont help. Where is all my memory going?
Hairyspider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back