Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME causing poor download ADSL connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doozer1

Technical User
Oct 3, 2003
GB
Hello,

I seem to have a problem where when connected to my router/switch with an ADSL 512kbps download capability I only get around 100kbps download speed. I have checked the connection to my switch 100mbps no problems & my router is showing the ADSL line ready with 512kbps download ready. What makes this very strange is I have a laptop running Win 2000 & if i download anything I get the correct download speed of around 512kbps. The only difference between the PC and laptop is the operating systems. The PC is a P4 1500mhz & laptop is a P3 1000mhz. So to me, everything looks fine in terms of networking to the PC or Laptop. Any help would be well appreciated.

Thanks...

Have you keep the settings on the modems on both machines to see if they are setup different? I know did but I will ask. Did you use the same software to look your ADSL on both machines?

Mrfixit,

Both the PC and Laptop are set for 100mbps connection to my switch. It is worth pointing out that I have a combined ADSL Router/switch with 4 ports so I am not using any modems to connect to my ADSL connection from the PC or Laptop. Also both machines are using IE6.

Thankyou for your reply...

Investigation has shown that this is a general problem affecting all ADSL ISPs at the current time. I believe this is caused because the default Maximum Transfer Unit (MTU) in Microsoft Windows operating systems (1500 bytes) is greater than that in the BT broadband IP network (1458 bytes), causing poor performance.
Here is link to a MTU Tweak tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back