Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME and netwoks

Status
Not open for further replies.

guinnessman

Technical User
Mar 15, 2002
IE
Does anyone know of problems associated with using ME on a W2K network. I'm being told that I should use W2K PRO or Win98 but not ME. The thing is, ME is already installed on four of the workstations so it would save me a load of time not to have to wipe and install afresh! mmm afresh, I like that!

ME can join a network, but MS limited the number of protocol's that it would support and (if I'm not mistaken) the ability to support policies. It only came with support for NetBeui and TCP if I remember correctly. Also, server admin tools were not available to be run from an ME workstation. MS was also presenting features that would later appear more fully developed in XP.

ME can at best be considered a stop gap between the older Win9x OS's and the new 2000/XP Pro OS's for client/server LAN's.

Given those constraints you will have to decide whether to live with ME or move to XP Pro (I would chose XP Pro - far more robust and reliable - provided your hardware conforms to the HCL).

Thanks very much for your reply. It seems ME can suffice then although I do agree that 2000 or XP would be a far better choice . . . there's always lots of other potential goodies for this client to spend his money on.

FYI, ME had less printer drivers than W98 se. If you get the chance, go w2k, it's the best they've come up with. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The fruit derived from labor is the sweetest of all pleasures."
Luc de Clapiers, Marquis of Vauvenargues (1715-1747); French moralist.

Thanx Glen, I still actually think that because there are more drivers out there for 98 than 2000 its easier to find hardware that's easily compatible )especialyy the older hardware) but I do agree, 2000 is a better, more stable OS.

I'm finding more and more drivers coming online for w2k. Companies are starting to realize w2k is here to stay. Got a hunch that new drivers don't come out right away because companies wait and see if the os is staying. That's why drivers never came out for ME, it just didn't fly. Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The fruit derived from labor is the sweetest of all pleasures."
Luc de Clapiers, Marquis of Vauvenargues (1715-1747); French moralist.

>That's why drivers never came out for ME, it just didn't fly

I think it's because 9 times out of 10 Win98 drivers work just fine and there was no need to re-do them for ME. ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

The world according to JackyZhang is correct. WindowsXP Home can not join to Domain!!!!!!!!!!!!! Correct, you need XP pro for decent networking.

[cheers]

Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"You can't stop the wind. But you can build windmills".
Dutch Proverb.

Actually, that is not 100% correct. I ran XP Home on my NT network for a while. XP Home cannot process the 'normal' logon, but it can access domain resources for which the user has permissions. It has been a while, so I no longer remember the details of what I had to do, and it cannot be considered secure by any means.

You're right clay. The issue here is the confusion between the ability to network and the ability to join a domain. XP is fine with the former, but cannot do the latter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back