Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows ME & linksys router/USB Network Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2002
US
Connecting a Linksys Cable Modem Router with two Pc's, through USB Network adapters, and Road Runner Cable Modem.
One is a Windows 98 machine, install went smooth and pc connects to the internet, and shows up on the network.
However, the other machine is Windows ME, install appeared to go just as smooth, the pc connects to the internet, but doesn't show up on the network.
Anyone have experience like this?
Suggestions?

Hello.
Have you tried going to the linksys web page and downloading their latest frimware? I think I saw something there that mentioned this issue. Don't "quote" me on that tho! Hope you find help.
Chuck

i have the same setup as you....make sure that you running both machines on the same subnet mask using the router as the gateway....enable file and print sharing on both machines...Workgroup needs to be the same....ummm need more help if this dont work contact me at sos.guru@verizon.net i would be more than happy to help you out with the settings.

you might want to try setting up the Windows ME computer first. Use the network Wizard on the windows ME machine then make a network disk (the wizard will give you that option), then run it on the windows 98 machine.

That's what I did (but I am using ethernet cable)

Also, you might have to specify a password for file sharing on both computers and use that password at the login screen when windows starts-up on both machines.

My problem was that the one machine (Windows ME) didn't show that password screen at start-up so I wasn't able to access my network.

Remember, if you don't enter a password,then both computers will still be able to access the net, but then the network won't work.

You might want to re-run the home networking wizard again on the Windows ME system to get everything sorted out.

Cheers
Nate There is a solution to everything!
If something can't be done, then
it just means the solution has yet
to be discovered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back