Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows losing focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menglish

Programmer
Jun 22, 2001
I am having a problem with programs losing focus. I can be in a browser, WORD, Excel or a DOS based program and my Windows XP Pro will lose focus. I can click on the screen and regain focus but myprogram blink right back off or not lose focus for an hour or two. It is not consistent. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If I understand you correctly, a "program losing focus" is when the display gets fuzzy and indistinct, right? If so, I would suspect some hardware problem: your monitor or videpo card or cables. Try to substitute one thing at a time and see if the problem continues or goes away. If I misunderstood your complaint, I'm sorry!...

I'm guessing he means Windows no longer goes on top.

Try turning of your AV / Antispyware and anything that updates automatically and see if it still does it.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

OK, can you tell that I'm a command-line person that doesn't normally work in a "Windows" (or any other kind of gui) environment. Believe it or not, I had never heard of this use of 'focus'. Sorry to not help with the original problem, but it shows how educational this site can be, even for us "old-timers". [I'll be quiet now...]

Use the CLI and see if it goes out of focus. if it does, it a PC problem not a windows problem.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

I apoligize for the ambiguity about focus. The current active window is said to have focus. The window I am working in continuously loses focus. When I click somewhere inside the window, it regains focus but quickly loses focus again. After two to three times, it quits switching until I go to some other window and it continues to lose focus again.

Note: This happens even when running DOS based programs.

Thanks for the advice.

Kindest regards,

Millard English

Thought that was what you was on about. Origanlly a MAC / Atari term really, just one of those quirks of language (believe it or not, so is burning CD's!).

Anyway I side track.

Try loading up in safe mode and see if it happens.

If not,
try stopping any programs that update autmatically, such as A/V, A/S, Adobe updater, MS Updates.

Let us know how that goes...

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Thanks for the tips. I tried removing an adware blocker that does authomatic updates and this appears to have remedied the problem. I worked a full 10 hours straight and it never lost focus or the active window on top.

Thanks again guys,

Millard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back