Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Log In. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grips

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
GB
Hello All,
I have a windows 2000 server (SP2) running with windows 98SE clients. Two of which have static IP addresses for internet connection sharing over an IDSN dial up service (not using server). All the computers see each other when I ping them, however these two will not log onto the servers domain. I have tried removing the password files from the workstations, with no success. They were working initially. Can anybody give me any advice to sort this out? Thanks.

ar you pinging them via there Ip's or via the Computer names ?

are you using DNS / Wins ???

Tesh
:)

What tells you there not logging onto the server domain?What happens when you give them static ip's? Make sure the nics are good? I had a brand new server and it had a bad nic, (one of two) and when I plugged that nic into the network, it sent out so many bad packets my users couldn't locate the domain. (Try switching nics on the two that don't work) Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"Man is not weak; knowledge is more than equivalent to force."
Samuel Johnson (1709-84), English author, lexicographer.

Hi and Thanks!

They Ping by their ip addresses (havent tried their names). All the returns are reported OK. and using DNS not Wins.
Will try and change the NICs into two known good computers.
I am using static IP addresses on one workstation, this is for internet connection sharing using a third party programme, One I have used with my clients computers with no problems over their network. Havent any IP address clashes.
The network consists of one server, Windows2000 SR2 Server, and the rest Windows98SE, all with a clean install.
The computer connected to the internet will not access the server, it reports no domain found. It however, is happy to allow internet sharing over the network.

They were working fine at one time.

Are you running RRAS? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"Man is not weak; knowledge is more than equivalent to force."
Samuel Johnson (1709-84), English author, lexicographer.

are they set to log into the comain under Windows Client Network in the Network Manager?

Someone might have unchecked the boxes...

-Mike

Lets start with a simple, obvious one, Have the two machines got fixed IP,s in the same scope as the network, because, if the machine with the internet will not find the domain it is routing all 'foreign' packets out to the internet connection which suggests a different IP range is being used on the NIC.

Chris.

Did you swith the Win2K server from Mix to Native mode?? Have you install DSCLIENT.EXE on those Win9x boxes???? DSCLIENT.EXE can be found on the Win2K server disk under C:\Client

Hi
Yes the IP address is set to an internal network. They were working fine at one stage.

No I havent installed DSCLIEN.EXE, Im not sure what that does, prehaps you would be kind enough to elighten me.

Will check the domain manager.

Thanks

Hello All,

Thanks all for your help, but i must send some applogies for overlooking the obvious.

The workstation in question has norton firewall installed, and unbenown to me had the settings changed. This was to block all messages from the server.

Well, Just goes to show, for me anyhow, not to overlook the obvious!

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back