Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows/ Linux Dual boot?? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wavesg

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
US
Can you run Linux 7.2 and Windows 2000 on the same machine?? Can you dual boot??

I haven't tried it with 2000. Works great with 98. I had 98 installed on hda1, Suse on hdb1. Ran lilo and set .conf file to write to hda (mbr). Now get the cute little Suse menu when I boot, which gives me the usual linux choices plus windoze...

Yes, you can. I currently have a machine that has 98, 2k, 2k server, and Linux Mandrake. Lilo runs the boot menu and from there you can choose your windows platform.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Yes you can, install Windows 2000 first, make sure you leave enough room for linux when you partition. Then install linux. At some point during the install, you will have to decide whether you want to boot up from a floppy or write lilo to you MBR. if you decide to boot from a floppy, windows will boot automatically if the floppy is missing from your drive - you will need the floppy to boot linux.

Hope this helps.

asb555

Watch out!!! LINUX can not read write to NTFS make sure your file system is fat.... or I think you can have Windows on NTFS and have a small fat partition for boot and then make a new partition for linux...

Yes, Johnny is right. You must format as Fat 32 or Linux will not work. I had 2000 and Mandrake 8.2 on the same system and everything worked well. I used Partition Magic to make the partition and then the install was pretty self explanatory.

Thanks for the info, for I am in the same situation. My question is, will it work for RedHat 7.3? and if so, which bootloader will do the trick (i heard GRUB works)?

You can install Windows NT4/2K/XP on an NTFS partition without it affecting Linux. You just won't be able to write to the Windows partition from Linux. Linux supports read-only for NTFS partitions, and read/write for FAT partitions. Only install it on FAT if you want to mount the partition from within Linux.

The easiest thing to do is install Win2K first, and then Linux second. When its time to install GRUB (or LILO), tell it to install into the MBR. This will overwite 2K's boot menu and you will give you a GRUB boot menu when you start the computer. You will be able to choose between Linux or Win2K. If you don't overwrite the MBR, then you will need a floppy to boot Linux, which, I would assume, you don't want?

ChrisP If someone resolves an issue for you, or was helpful, please click the link on the bottom left hand corner of their post to give them a "star" letting them know they helped you.

Oh, and by the way, I have two machines here that are dual-booting between RH73 and XPP, so I know it works.

ChrisP If someone resolves an issue for you, or was helpful, please click the link on the bottom left hand corner of their post to give them a "star" letting them know they helped you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back