Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Installer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoc7hoi9

Technical User
Sep 29, 2001
CA
I removed an old version of tax software in order to install new year's version. But, after the software unzipped and prepared to install, a Windows Installer box pops up with the message:

"The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel"

Is it an error of Windows Installer or of the software? How can we fix this problem?

I searched the web and installed the Windows Installer clean up of MS, but the tax software is not in the list of softwares using Windows Installer.

Thanks.

I don't know what program (tax) you are referring to, but does it require a complete uninstall to update the program, or should any update be run from within (the now uninstalled) application?

You could see if there is a Support Desk for the program where you can ask them, or try and download it again, making sure you are getting the full program and not just an update to something that is on (or not on) your machine.

Thanks for your quick responses. I already used Youruninstaller to remove the old version. Revo Uninstaller could not find any traces of the old version.

I believe my Windows Installer has been corrupted, since I could install the new version on my old pc.

I think the problem is with Windows Installer, and error code is 1610. However, what I could find on the web about this error is more confusing than helpful. It looks like Windows Installer cannot be easily repaired or replaced!

Have you tried disabling some of your security type programs and seeing if Windows Installer works then?

Any clues in the Event Viewer?

Do any setup or install packages work on this machine?

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Reregister or Re-install MSI Installer.
324516 - "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error message when you try to install Office

Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available

How to Enable Windows Installer Logging in Windows XP

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

I've run the Chkdsk and Sfc/ Scannow. The process seems to fix Windows drivers but does create new problems for other non-MS softwares installed before. In the end, I decided to reformat drive C and reinstall XP and, obviously, the tax program. This time there was no Windows Installer problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back