Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows installer package

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 1, 2002
ID
How to create a windows installer package (.msi) ?

The article said that Winstall LE can be found in Win2000 CD. I installed it but I don't know how to create the package. Can I create the package with this Winstall LE or I have to buy the Winstall from Veritas ?
I've read about this, and there's an alternative with .ZAP but I'm not sure it would work well. Can someone give me suggestion about this ? Thanks.

What they say is to load a clean install of W2K pro. Then run winstall and take a before snapshot. Then install the program you want to create the .msi for and after it is installed crate the after snapshot. It will then give you an option to save the .msi file. Save it and either save it on the server, or on the PC and then move it to the server in the folder where you are going to have the application to be pushed from. I have tried it but could never get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back