Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows installer 3.1 downloads, won't install

Status
Not open for further replies.

ockerb

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
I have just completed a windows update using win xp sp2. The download was successful but when it progressed to installing the win installer update and the genuine advantage software the result was a failure. The install failed to install windows update 3.1.
I have a standalone win installer 3.1 and tried to update in safemode, it failed again.
I have just recovered from a spyaxe v3.0 malware attack which included the trojan.zlob trojan. I successfully removed the spyaxe malware and the trojan.
I have attempted the win installer 3.1 update with norton internet security and antivirus off, still no success.
Without this installer update I'm unable to perform other windows updates.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Ockerb

I have also re-installed win xp over the top of the existing version and this failed to rectify the problem. One thing I forgot to mention; at the completion of the windows startup a windows installer window pops up. I don't know what it is trying to install. After a few moments a message saying "norton antivirus 2006 does not support repair, uninstall and re-install".
I'm not sure if this is related to my problem or not.

Thanks linney, that did the trick :) Happy New Year Mate
Ockerb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back