Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Information Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkrider

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
What options are available to eliminate confusion Windows XP SP2 users might encounter when loading pages containing Javascript or Flash content ("To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here for options.")? Is there a way to bypass this or launch a message based on user configuration? How is this normally approached?

There is nothing you can do to prevent this. It was a recent security change. No option exists to "overwrite" the message or to provide the user with a more customised message. If the user has their security level set like this (to warn about scripts etc) then there is nothing you can do about it.

Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Thanks Jeffy,

Actually I have discovered that I am only getting the message from a preview in FrontPage. So for now, I am okay. I still believe however, there is probably a script somewhere that will detect if the user is currently running SP2 or not. Then you might be able to redirect to another page or display a popup message... maybe even change text properties to "visible" for a message informing users that there is no malicious code on your page. Thanks for replying though.

I still believe
And that is your right.

As a javascript developer (who probably wrote some of "those scripts" that you can just use on your web page) I am telling you that no such javascript "script" exists that will allow you to do what you have asked -- or indeed what you want.

Saying that you still believe a solution exists shows your lack of respect for me (and indeed the whole forum concept) or your incredible lack of intelligence. Either way... it remains your right to continue to believe.

Maybe you could have checked my posting history before making your mind up? Then again... maybe you did [smile]

Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Not at all... I just thought I had heard at one time there was some way to tell what opearting system a user has. Sorry... I stand corrected. The reason I thought this was that I have used a site called statcounter that reported what OS and browser visitors had used. But I guess as far as I know they could have made all of that up.

I realize some people are very sensitive and feel disprected more easily than others. For that I apologize. I have pretty thin skin, and sometimes I suppose I "speak" too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back