Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Host Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarky78

Programmer
Oct 19, 2000
GB
We develop a lot of websites in house using the windows Host file allowing us to run the / notation instead of ../../../ all of the time. We have setup clients with this host file from external locations, to access our server without a problem. However, when I try to access the server (test_server, which is set to the correct IP address in this Host file)from home I can't gain access. I am using a Dial Up connection, unlike most of our clients who use a Leased Line. Is there something stopping me connecting to this test server because I am using a dial up connection. If there is how do i get around this, as some of our clients use a dial up ISDN system !

The dial up settings use seperate TCP/IP settings than a leased line. The tcp/ip settings are usually obtained from the server that you dial into. The hosts file may not activate. I am not sure, this is a educated guess, you might also try in the tcp/ip forum under Data Transmission

good luck

You can access the site if you add an entry for your test_server in the host file in your home pc.
Any request for IP is first looked up in the host file your PC before it gets transmitted to the ISPs DNS.
I use this technique to publish pages to virtual sites which are not yet added to the remote DNS.

Hope i understood your problem correctly.

ks
pppshar - internet sharing sw.
netmailshar - tiny mail server
mailassistant - talking email notifier
getagain - resume file downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back