Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows hangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temjin

Technical User
Feb 9, 2005
US
I got this problem with my Windows 98.

I just installed my Creative Display card in both hardware and software.
Now when I selected 'Shut Down' from the START button in Windows98,Windows explorer will be shutted down.
Then my PC will just hang there,there is no "It is safe to shut down your computer now' screen anymore.Instead,the PC just gave me the empty wallpaper screen,without any icons whatsoever.*Hope you get it.*

Before I installed the damned card,my PC will automatically switch off Windows98 and the hardware together once I selected 'Shut Down'.

Another problem I face is that Internet Explorer will everytime become a window without the 'File,Edit...etc 'taskbar after I used it for some time.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Go into sysedit and click on systems. Check on hardware profiles and see if you have any conflicts with your video configuration. You may need to reload drivers or have a conflict with other devices on your system. If so, you may want to take off other devices and install your video card first. [sig][/sig]

Except for the Explorer problem I had the same problem with my Creative, I ended up reinstalling Windows with the card in to fix it. [sig][/sig]

The shutdown issue has been recognized by Microsoft and a patch is available for download to fix it. Your machine has a setting called Fast shutdown, which is turned off by default - thank you Microsoft. This patch enables that software.

Click the button that reads "Next" - this will initiate a download. Run the .exe file after download.

As well, the following process will help you prevent lockups:

1- Boot into safe mode (F8 at startup)
2- Go to Device Manager (Start-Settings-Control Panel-System
Click on + signs next to following folders: Sound, video & game controllers; display adapters; monitors; network adapters.
3- Remove any duplicate drivers listed. In Sound/Video/Game - remove ALL drivers.
4- Remove all network adapters also. Windows will find all the correct drivers when it reboots.
5- Restart the system - let windows reinstall the software and when it prompts to reboot, do so.

Let me know if you have further issues. There are several other troubleshooting steps I can suggest if need be.

[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back