Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Font Problem: please help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreikun

Technical User
Apr 23, 2002
US
Hello everyone. My windows system doesnt seem to be registering the fonts that are in my 'font' folder. Up until just a little while ago things seemed to be working fine. However, when I open up Photoshop (or any other program) and look at the available font types, theres only about 6 or 7 fonts in the font list when I have about 50+ fonts in my font folder. It seems like a link is broken somewhere in the system where windows isnt registering the fonts i have in the font folder.

In addition, when i open a window, in the upper right corner of any window there is usually a Minimize line, a Maximize box, and a Close Window 'X'. These three symbols are no longer there. Instead, theres what vaguely looks like a 0 in place of the minimize, a 1 in place of the maximize, and an o in place of the 'X'.

Has anyone had this kind of thing happen before? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--Rei

I agree with Win98User, sounds like a virus issue, but then it could be a graphics issue or corrupted system file.

If you are certain that you are virus free (check with HOUSECALL online), RUN SFC and check for corrupted system file. If that doesn't sort it out, I'd be inclined to reinstall your OS "over the top" of your existing. DOS Tip #1701: Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
Phil
Please tell me if the answer I gave was correct. Without your feedback I won't know.

thanks for the help guys. it was a virus and i ended up reinstalling windows.

--REI

Hey John

We're getting better at this don't you think? Computer: A device designed to speed and automate errors.
Phil
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Thanks for the feedback wreikun, its appreciated.

Phil - even we can guess right sometimes ;-)

All the best,

John. It not what you say but how you say it that counts...apparently.

John

You called it first, therefore even if wreikun won't, I will give you a star. Computer: A device designed to speed and automate errors.
Phil
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back