Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgam

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
IE
Hi,i recently installed win2000 on a harddrive that has had win95 on it.I did not format the drive before the win2000 installation,this has left me with a windows folder on the drive that takes up a lot of disk space.I know i should have formatted the drive first , but is there any way of deleting this windows folder without having to do an re-installation?It won't delete when i try to do so - would this be because i've installed an up to date sevicepack?
Regards
Mark

I suspect that Windows is not keen in losing its own folder.

I suggest that you check the dates of the files within the folder and that will tell you if they belong to Win 95. Before deleting them why don't you put them in a separate folder to see if you get any problems.

if OK, and to be doubly safe, you could back up the files before you delete then so if you need a specific file then you can always restore it.

Isn't there an add\remove option to remove the backed up files from the previous OS. I swear I saw that some where.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

thanks for replys.It is a folder belonging to win95 - but won't delete no matter what i do.I have a winnt folder as well because i have win2000 on the machine.So i can't understand why it won't let me delete it.In relation to add remove in the last reply i got - i've never heard of it-but if you come on it let me know - thanking you.

Have you converted from fat to ntfs filestore? If not, you could boot from win98 boot floppy and delete folder (use deltree) from there.

What message do you get when you try to delete it? If it is now ntfs, what permissions are set on the folder? Can you delete individual files/folders in the \windows folder?

If ntfs, you could use recovery console (but would need to set it to use all paths - to be able to access this folder) -

thanks lads - nothing worked , so i just formattedit and reinstalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back