Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

officework13

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
I was used to useing Windows 98 where by i could locate a file & see the extension of it & change it if necessary. Now with ME i can no longer do that. How do i go about changeing the extension of files.

secondly in Windows explorer there is a large area of wasted space on the window to the left of the file name. Is there a way to get rid of this or minimize it(not the folders area) it is the area that says the folder name you are in and see also my documents, my network places & my computer

Ian

Have you unticked 'hide file extensions for known file types' in folder options, view (same as win98)?

Have you got web content enabled in folders (folder options, general).

You probably just need to have a play with your settings till you get it as you want.

Ian,
go to tools/folder options/view and untick the box for "hide
file extensions for known file types" and you will be able to see the full file name & extension.
then just rename as normal.
The only other way is using Ms Command Prompt.

not to sure about your second question, but what i would suggest is to resize the folder to the way you want and then go tools/options/view and click on "like current folder" which will force windows to open all explorer windows from then on under the same parameters
David

Thank you wolluf you solved both of my problems.

thumbs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back