Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Explorer will not refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

edvedafi

Programmer
May 17, 2003
US
I am having a problem with some Windows XP SP2 computers. When a new file/folder is created/deleted/renamed it will not show up in Windows Explorer until you press F5 to refresh.

The folder is a mapped drive from a Windows Server 2003 machine, and I have ensured that the user has Full Control permisions on the folder. There is a second mapped folder that is on the same server and that works just fine. There is also a few Win 2000 machines that map the folders and both folders work just fine on the Win 2000 machines.

If you use an open/save dialog box from Word it creates a new folder just fine and shows it right away.

This problem only occurs with one user account, however the way my computer lab is set up is that all of the computers are automatically logging into the same user account, and this is the account that I am having trouble with. This account set up as a guest account on each PC.

Any help would be appreciated. Any questions please ask.

Thanks
Jason

This may help?

Screen doesn't refresh
thread779-1006512

See if you can get any more clues here.

Windows XP Explorer Pane Flickers on Mapped Network Drives

Windows XP + Norton AV 2003 + NT Server - Funny things
thread779-471332

Explorer Refresh problems...
thread779-444833

Custom refresh rates
thread779-460114

Explorer automatically refresh! How do I stop it?
thread779-449014

N0ktar:
I do not beleive there is any firewall between them, I will have to check when I get to work to make sure though.

linney:
All of those threads. Show the same suggestions I have already attempted. The only thing I noticed is that I do not think my UpdateMode is a DWORD so I will look into that also when I get to work.

Thanks for the quick responses
Jason

I double checked and there is no firewall in between the PCs and the Server.

In the links that linney gave I did find two registry settings that were not the same as what I had:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoRemoteRecursiveEvents=0
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSimpleNetIDList=1
I tried both of these values and neither one had any effect on it. Everything else in those threads has been done with no succcess.

Jason

Using the UNC method to display the folder does kind of solve the problem. When I do it this way I do not seem to have any issues, however I am using these computer to teach people Windows XP that have never worked on a computer before, so I need to have this look as "normal" as possible.

Another issue that I have been trying to work out is a free solution to haveing a mapped drive recycling bin. As I was looking for option I came across Fundelete from Sysinternals (does not do what I was looking for). I wanted to see what it was so I installed it on one of the PCs and somehow it magically fixed the Explorer refresh problem. Then when I got back to the computer later on it had unfixed the problem and Explorer would not refresh again. Maybe this can help shed some light on what is happening to me.

I was going to try uninstalling the IE hotfix that it suggest as causing problems, but I cannot seem to find that Hotfix listed in Add/Remove. Possibly because it is so old and so many updates have been installed since?

Thanks for your assistance
Jason

Some general things to try.

Try Safe Mode with Networking (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

I don't know of any free programs to save deleted files from a mapped drive, only expensive third party tools like the following.

Undelete from Executive Software

Everything works fine in Safe Mode. I ran ChkDsk and Scannow, and no problems found. When I looked for the Unsigned Device Drivers the only two there were d346bus.sys and d346prt.sys which are the two files I need to run Deamon Tools. It may have something to do with that so I will try uninstalling DT and see if it fixes the problem, however I need to run DT for many of the programs that my clients use.

thanks
Jason

Uninstalled Daemon Tools...Same problems
Reinstalled Newer Version of DT...Same problems

However, I did discover that the mapped drive actually works fine. The problem only occurs in the redirected My Documents folder. That explains why I have not had any problems with other accounts or drives as this is the only user/folder that uses redirection.

If there is no solution to this problem I could have users just open the R: drive instead of My Documents, which would be acceptable, however I am now very intrested in why redirection has this effect.

thanks
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back